I really struggled with this topic, it would be much easier to pick another subject. However, this is the country we now live in. This information comes directly from Active Shooter Ready.gov.
- Sign up to Active Shooter Training.
- If you see something, say something.
- Be aware of your environment and surroundings.
- Make a plan, to ensure everyone knows what to do if confronted.
- Always look for the two nearest exits wherever you go. Identify places you could hide.
- Run and escape if you can.
- Leave your belongings and get away.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Warn others where the shooter may be.
- Call 911 when you are safe.
- Hide, if escape is not possible.
- Get out of the shooters view and stay quiet.
- Silence electronic devices.
- Lock and block all doors, close blinds, turn lights off.
- Don't hide in groups, spread out along walls or hide separately.
- Stay in place until law enforcement gives you the all clear.
- Fight, as a last resort.
- Commit to your actions and be as aggressive as possible against the shooter.
- Be prepared to cause severe or lethal injury to the shooter.
- Recruit others to ambush the shooter with makeshift weapons like chairs, scissors, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Throw items to distract the shooter.
- Keep your hands empty.
- Follow law enforcement's orders.
- Take care of yourself first.